Pale bluish-green glass. This flask has an ovoid body with a flattened shoulder from whic a tubular neck with a funnel mouth and thickened rim, on one side of the body is a conical spout. Such flasks must have been employed for carefully controlling pouring, and as such may have been used to introduce oil into the small circular openings of Roman clay oil lamps.
Cf: Verres Antiques de L’Islam, Ancienne Collection de Monsieur D, June 1985, lot 419, p. 164; Glaser der Antike, Sammlung Erwin Oppenlander, Axel von Saldern 1974, no. 712; Variation of form 99, Roman Glass from Dated Finds, C. Isings, Groningen 1957; Roman and Pre-Roman Glass in the Royal Ontario Museum, John Hayes, Toronto 1975, no. 299, p. 91; Glaser der Antike, Sammlung Erwin Oppenlander, Hamburg 1974, no. 712, p. 243; Journal of Glass Studies XIII (1971), no. 20, pl. 18, p.17; Post Roman Ancient Glass, Harden, p. 79, pl. IC; Ancient Glass in the Israel Museum, The Eliahu Dobkin Collection and Other Gifts, Y. Israeli, no. 173, p. 165